Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Youth Profile of the Week

For our inaugural “Youth Feature of the Week” we chose to interview Hakim, who was there to witness our first legitimate meal we made using a kerosene stove (we both agreed our tuna and cheese during the blackout did not count). We hope you enjoy getting to know and also learning from these children as much as we do! Hopefully this gives our readers more insight into the community we are immersing ourselves in, as well as provide those that donated a look at where their generosity has gone and understand how much it truly provided a child and a community.


Name: Hakim Kafero
Age: 13
Nationality: Ugandan
Grade: P7


“How many are in your family, and where are you from in Uganda Hakim?
HK: There is my mother, father, two sisters and one brother. I did have three sisters but one got sick and died when I was very young. We come from Western Uganda, the Mbarara District. We moved to Ndejje in 2003 and all I remember is that at our home in the West was very old and with big land.

“What are your parent’s careers?”
HK: My mother works at a shop selling fruits, sodas and snacks in front of our home and my father is unemployed, but he used to be a taxi driver.

“Tell us what a normal day for you is like.”
HK: I go to bed late, like 1 AM, and don’t need much sleep, only three hours. I then wake up and dream for two hours. My dreams are crazy and so great! Then I get up and go to Mosque with my family, and then to HOPE school at 7:30. After school I like to play games, especially football.

“ What dream did you have last night?”
HK: In my dream I was a black leopard.

“What are your hopes and dreams after HOPE School?”
HK: I want to go to Secondary School and University. My dream is to be an MP (Member of Parliament) because I want to develop Uganda and other countries. I want to help others because there is too much corruption. And I like to make my own choices. I want to go to USA and Brazil. Uganda will take ten years to develop and take care of my family and in those countries it is more easy to take care of them.

“What is the hardest struggle you’ve ever faced?”
HK: Having to pay school fees.

“How did you overcome that?”
HK: Before my father lost his job he worked hard to get money to pay for my fees.

“Who is your hero or person you respect most in the world?”
HK: My mother because she takes so much care of me.

“What is your favorite food, football player and football team?”
HK: Jack fruit, Frank Lampard and Chelsea.

“Who do you think will win the World Cup this year?”
HK: South Africa!

1 comment:

  1. It is amazing how much hope there is in kids. Thanks for your efforts! I love reading all of it!

    ReplyDelete