Friday, April 2, 2010

Youth Feature of the Week



What I find endlessly fascinating is how multi-ethnic and multi-cultural students at HOPE School are. It is more common to see a combination of Congolese and Ugandan, Kenyan and Ugandan or ____ and Ugandan, but after chatting with one of the most reserved students during break time I discovered he came from a Congolese and Rwandese household. After talking more at length it became apparent his parent’s respective countries and cultures weren’t an active part of his own identity. This could be a personal decision, or he’s simply acting as a typical teenager does and trying to define himself on his own terms. But reading in between the lines of our conversation, it could be a purposeful diversion prompted by his father due to their reasons for fleeing Rwanda. Either way, I really enjoyed his interview and perspective. I truly believe that one-on-one engagement such as this really increases self-efficacy and emphasizes value in youth’s personal outlook and opinion. After all, it will be these children that impact this community, and how they see themselves in it plays a vital role. Enjoy meeting Ronnie!

Name: Ronald Ngabo “Ronnie”
Grade: P7
Age: 15
Nationality: Rwandese

When did you move to Uganda Ronnie?
RN: We moved here in 2005. We were five. My mother died when we came to Uganda because she was very sick. I have three brothers and I am the fourth. We lived in Kampala first then moved to the Wakiso District.

What do you remember about Rwanda? You can tell me about good memories or bad memories.
RN: The good things…Rwanda…My sister is there and other relations. My sister is 27 and stayed because she is married. But some people didn’t like others at my home in Rwanda and were trying to imprison many people for the genocide. We left because things were bad like that. That is why Rwandese are here (in Uganda) or in other countries now.

That is pretty neat your parents come from two different countries. When or why did your father move to Rwanda? Have you been able to visit your father’s home in the Congo?
RN: My father moved from Congo to Rwanda because of his job as a mechanic. I don’t know when he moved there. I went to visit Congo in 2001 to see my father’s family in Goma once. It was nice.

Are you happy you live in Uganda now?
RN: Yes, I like living in Uganda. I like Uganda because there is freedom.

What is the hardest problem you have ever faced and how did you overcome it?
RN: My father can’t manage to buy us clothes or shoes so me and my brothers work to get money for him. He doesn’t work, but sometimes he gets some jobs. So when we don’t have money we help laborers build houses like the ones you see around here. They pay us 5,000 UGS for a day (approximately $2.50).

Thanks for sharing that Ronnie. What do you like most about HOPE Primary School?
RN: I like the teaching and the sports.

What do you want to do after you graduate from HOPE?
RN: I don’t know what I want to do…I like football and singing.

I remember you saying you liked singing. I still need to hear your skills! Who is your favorite singer, food and football team?
RN: Chameleon (Ugandan rapper), rice and meat, Manchester United

Who do you think will win the World Cup?
RN: England

Ronnie, they are in USA’s bracket… are you trying to suggest USA won’t do well?!
RN: [whips out a huge smile]

Is there anything you want to say to people around the world reading this?

RN: Tell them I love all people in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment